It is that time of the year again where the social media is flooded with Women are special, Pink power, Girls rule the world type of posts. Yes! you guessed it right-
It is 8th March and the International Women’s Day!
I have been observing a trend since the past few years with these kind of special days…and to be honest, I am going to spill out the reality today in my blog as I am really fed up of the dual standards that our society functions on. So read on to know my take on Women’s Day.
Happy Women’s Day- I don’t need to be wished this.
Celebrate Womanhood- I celebrate it every second of my life.
Don’t give up seats in metros, buses for us- I don’t need it.
Don’t distribute pink cupcakes and cookies in office today- I am not up for it.
Stop marketing ‘A woman is special’ idea around your beauty/consumer/ service products specially for 8th March! And stop giving freebies and free drinks for a campaign – I know I am special in my own way and people would know that too.
Don’t give treat/cards/ gifts today- I can buy those for myself.
Stop splashing pink everywhere for Women’s Day- I don’t like Pink, not all women like Pink! Enough with this stereotyping.
Stop flooding my feed/ Whatsapp with Women’s Day posts- I know it won’t last a day…
So just STOP doing/saying things that you don’t mean.
So you ask – What do you WANT? You know what I want?
- I want safer roads for me to walk freely without being eve teased in our country.
- I want equal pay for equal work at our workplaces.
- I want no discrimination between a daughter and daughter-in-law in our families.
- I want EVERY girl child’s education to be prioritized just as a boy’s education would be.
- I want my man to be okay to cook for me/the family if I cant or don’t want to.
- I want my family and his family to be OK if I earn more than him.
- I want that there are no more rapes, dowry deaths in our society.
- I want women to be open about sexuality, sex, menstruation topics.
- I want to love/marry (or not) to who I want without being frowned upon.
- I want no woman to be judged on her relationship status- single, married, divorced, widowed whatever!
- I want to wear what I want without being judged.
- I want to be heard when I have something to share.
- I want to be taken seriously at work when giving ideas for a project.
We don’t need flowers, messages that celebrate us one day… THIS IS WHAT I WANT! And I am sure This is what majority of Women want! We celebrate us everyday… it is time that you should too! #Everydayiswomensday #equalityaboveall #internationalwomensday #SheEqualHe
Share your thoughts about it in the comments below.